Re: Rotary Starts Production

From Frank Johnson <fjohnson@xxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:31:55 EDT

Peter Wainwright wrote
>Sam Coniglio wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>
>> If Kistler is first, the general public will not be interested.  The press
>> wants human stories.  Stories like "Maverick Rocket Man Makes First Private
>> Space Flight" get people excited. Kistler's flight will be a nice
>> technology achievement, but it will only get as much press as Orbital
>> Sciences did when they first launched Pegasus.
>
>Oh, I don't know. First, this would be a case of a small aerospace company
>doing what the big boys claimed wasn't possible - after all Rotary, Kelly,
>Pioneer et al aren't planning to put a human in a vehicle any time soon
>either. Second, the US press at least ought to pick up the 'Australia
>picks up America's thwarted entrepreneurs and runs with them' angle.

The Roton-C, the Kelly Sprint, and the Pioneer Pathfinder will all
have pilots in them from the beginning. In fact, I think the Roton pilot has
already been named.

Kistler had the advantage of VERY deep pockets from Hong Kong and support from
the "Old Guard" of rocket technology. So the "big boys" thought it was possible
They just didn't want to invest because they are making plenty of money off the
existing expendables.  I think it will get some mention in the mainstream
press, probably a segment on the nightly news, like DC-X did. Then most people
will forget about it. THe people who will remember will be those who can get to
orbit for $1000/lb.

I agree with Sam in that it will take human flight into orbit, substantial
numbers of humans, before the general populace wakes up to their individual
future in space. Astronauts are great people, but most of the public doesn't
identify with them, and therefore never give more than a passing thought to
whether or not they really want to travel into space.

Later,
-Frank