Re: Rotary Starts Production

From Sam Coniglio <sconiglio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:48:32 -0400

Peter:  At 10:42 AM 7/24/98 +0100, you wrote:

>> If Kistler is first, the general public will not be interested.  The press
>> wants human stories.  Stories like "Maverick Rocket Man Makes First Private
>> Space Flight" get people excited. Kistler's flight will be a nice
>> technology achievement, but it will only get as much press as Orbital
>> Sciences did when they first launched Pegasus.
>
>Oh, I don't know. First, this would be a case of a small aerospace company
>doing what the big boys claimed wasn't possible - after all Rotary, Kelly,
>Pioneer et al aren't planning to put a human in a vehicle any time soon
>either. Second, the US press at least ought to pick up the 'Australia
>picks up America's thwarted entrepreneurs and runs with them' angle.

Rotary's press release says its vehicle will be manned.  Pioneer has always
said its vehicle will be manned.  Kelly may or may not be manned.  It is
just a matter of who will fly first.

Would the US press care about an American company launching in Australia?
Unfortunately, the US Press is so USA-centric, they may not be interested.
Maybe they will care, maybe they won't.

Sam

  Sam Coniglio, Contract Technical Writer
Office - 770-522-4095 / Pager - 404- 820-6097
**Try Opera, the Web Browser for the Rest of Us!**
      - <http://www.operasoftware.com/>http://www.operasoftware.com