Rohrbacher's "zero gravity, zero taxes" Legislation

From Mark Reiff <mreiff1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date Fri, 24 Jul 1998 00:16:24 -0700

FYI,

"Companies operating in space could enjoy enviable status - no taxes"
Florida Today
<http://www.flatoday.com:80/space/explore/stories/1998b/071998b.htm>

: Rep. Tim Roemer, D-Ind., who serves on the House Science
: Committee with Rohrabacher, said he was not familiar with
: the "zero gravity, zero taxes" proposal but nevertheless was
: troubled by the concept.

: "A number of questions come to mind," said Roemer, who is
: perhaps best known in Congress for his annual attempt to
: eliminate funding for the International Space Station. "Will this
: be a large drain on revenues if something exciting is
: discovered in space?"

Rep. Roemer seems to concur that tax breaks will lead to "something
exciting (being) discovered in space" - only he wants to ensure that he
can tax it.  Maybe Rep. Roemer should consider that if that commercial
discovery isn't attempted, it can't very well be taxed.

Unfortunately I think that Rep. Roemer rightly assumes that the big
aerospace contractors will attempt to use such otherwise worthwhile
legislation to shelter income using government assets (e.g. ISS,
shuttle).  Although small commercial space companies could use such tax
abatement, I don't think that such legislation is essential.   Getting
the government got out of the space operations business and the
contractor subside game is a far higher priority for encouraging private
space developers, who would pay their fair share of taxes (and hate it)
just like everyone else.

--
Mark Reiff <mreiff1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Gratuitous political statement, look here ->

	Date

 width=33%>Previous
 width=33%>List
 width=33%>Next